Why buy a Diff Housing?:
The introduction of the V8 diesel engine into the 70 Series model from 2007 resulted in an increase in front wheel track, while the rear track remained the same. This change produces an OEM track variation from front to rear of 95mm.
The narrower rear track can cause the vehicle to sway unpredictably when travelling on soft surfaces, or on tracks that have existing wheel ruts. Even changes in road surface on sealed roads can sometime cause problems. Issues with instability can arise when towing or when a lift is added raising the center of gravity in heavily loaded touring vehicles.
Some major benefits of having a wide track rear diff:
- Improved on-road dynamic stability and handling
- Increased driver control and handling in loose soils such as mud, gravel or sand
- Significantly reduced tracking when travelling through rutted tracks
- Improved stability when towing or loaded
- Reduces effects of highly mounted accessories such as roof racks or awnings
- Improved steering responsiveness
- Improved rollover / stability resistance
- Supplied with our Patented, High clearance Bisalloy leaf spring U-Bolt plates and U bolts
What is a Diff Housing?:
The Superior Engineering Wide-Track rear Diff housing is a fully fabricated high tensile replacement differential housing which has been widened to match the track width of the front diff (~95mm).
This Heavy Duty Housing features a fabricated 6mm high-tensile multi-faceted center housing for optimal strength and durability. Then 13.5mm heavy wall 4140 chromoly outer tubes are added to create the Ultimate Toyota 79 series diff.
- Strongest Landcruiser 79 series -Diff Housing in the world!
- Full Float Axles and Drive flanges
- Strongest Axles available – RCV 300M (optional Australian made 300M)
- Factory Electric Locker Compatible.
- Swaybar Compatible
- Direct Bolt In (No Mods Needed)
- Fits Factory Diff center, Brakes and bearings
- Corrects Vehicle Track
- Supplied with our Patented, High clearance Bisalloy leaf spring U-Bolt plates and U bolts.
Why buy a Superior Engineering Diff Housing over other brands:
- The Ultimate diff housing starts with 4140 Chromoly 13.5mm wall housing tubes that are ~900Mpa average Yield Strength where our competition uses ~6mm wall carbon hollow bar that is ~470Mpa, meaning just in the tubes alone a Superior Engineering housing are almost double the strength over our competitors. FEA tests were completed with 15 tonne load on the rear axle, and even then they only showed a deflection in the housing of less than 1mm, no other brand Landcruiser housing come close!
- If material strength and thickness wasn’t enough, we are also the only manufacturer using 90mm axle tubes; almost all other are still using the smaller 80mm axle tube. Utilising a 90mm axle tube greatly increases the overall strength of the housing to resist bending from excessive loading or side impacts.
- Adding to this the center section of our diamond diff is fabricated as standard with 6mm high tensile 830Mpa plate! High Tensile, wear-resistant and Hardened steel plate is the perfect match for the 4140 chromoly outer tubes. For added strength, it has a 4mm High Tensile Diff Guard / Skid Plate added to the rear and bottom of the housing which further protects the pinion gears and diff centre.
- A massive increase in ground clearance compared to our competitors is achieved through the use of larger axle tubes and a wider overall diamond, meaning we do not have weld additional gusseting underneath the diff housing to add strength.
- Overall width of the diamond center is wide and tapered, which adds a massive amount more structural integrity and strength, the additional internal gussets of the diamond center not only help with overall strength but provide channels for oil flow aiding in cooling.
- Superior Engineering is the only Australian manufacturer to use Aerospace grade – 300M axles made exclusively by RCV – ‘The manufacturer of the world toughest 4WD axles!’. These axles are the same material and hardening used in Ultra4 race cars, trophy trucks as well as an array of offroad weapons in the USA and around the world, and they are at no extra cost. The RCV 300M axles offer a lifetime warranty against breaking!
- The RCV axles are attached to the housing using a billet 4340 drive plate. Factory axles are prone to break once a wheel bearing becomes loose, the use of a drive plate almost stops the fatigue caused wheel bearing play and provides a stronger overall axle drive assembly.
- Our Diff upgrades kits come standard with a corrosion resistant Black powder coat finish, other optional colors are available at NO EXTRA COST! Not an additional extra like some manufacturers.
- We supply Billet Bisalloy 80 High Clearance U-Bolt plates as standard with our diff replacements. This gives you even more ground clearance then our competitors, added strength and support for the leaf spring pack and the tapered ends further allow the diff to slide UP and Over obstacles when offroad and these are provided at NO EXTRA COST!
- The replacement housing is built to precise factory dimensions and the 4140 chromoly spindles, allows you to retain all your factory brakes and bearings.
- The OE swaybar locations are retained on the Replacement housing, allowing the use of factory or aftermarket swaybars to customise the ride and handling.
- The chromoly housing is CNC machined to accept fitment of factory locked or unlocked third members
Instructions: Fitting the Superior Engineering – replacement chromoly housing is very easy and takes only a few hours. Using a workshop manual remove the factory housing as instructed and replace with the new housing, the axles and drive plates replace the original axle assembly. You retain your factory diff centre and your Brake / Hub assemblies.